The Marine Building. (We don't know the source of this excellent
photograph. If we learn it is a copyrighted image we'll remove it
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]  
  
This year is sponsored.
You'll note that this year includes events listed under "Also
in . . ." These are events for which we don't have a specific
date. If YOU know the
specific date of an event shown there, please
notify us . . . and cite the source! Many thanks!
January 2 General Jan Smuts, Premier of South
Africa, addressed the Canadian Club in Vancouver. He told the members,
among other things, There will never be another world war.
January 27 A Vancouver demonstration by the
February 18 The orbiting object formerly known
as the planet Pluto was discovered by astronomer Clyde Tombaugh.
(In 2006 Pluto was demoted by a global astronomical congress, and
is no longer classed as a planet.)
March 1 The Fraser Valley Public Library
Demonstration began, with Dr. Helen Gordon Stewart as director.
Background: the Carnegie Corporation of New York had donated funds
for a bookmobile and library administration service in the Fraser
Valley. After the funds were exhausted Valley residents, despite
the Depression, voted to pay a new tax to continue the serviceand
the first regional library in North America was born.
March 15 A group of people gathered in Green
Timbers Urban Forest to plant more than 120 baby trees in B.C.s
first forest plantation, the beginning of commercial
reforestation here. Guests at the ceremony were invited to plant
trees, and Victor Harbord-Harbord, a Province reporter covering
the story, planted a Douglas fir for the paper. Sixty years later,
at an anniversary ceremony at Green Timbers, two of Harbord-Harbords
great-grandchildren romped and chased each other beneath the very
tree planted by their late great-grandfather. Its still there.
Province columnist Chuck Davis planted another tree for the
Province that 1990 day. See
April 4 American band leader Paul Whiteman
arrived in Vancouver and was amazed to learn that Canadian immigration
authorities refused to allow his orchestra to perform at two dance
dates, although they can perform at a concert. Whiteman said 'all
or nothing,' and left for Seattle on the 6th.
Also April 4 The Vancouver Sun reports
that no time is to be lost on the construction of the new
$225,000 theatre on south Granville street for Mr. Frederick Guest,
of Hamilton, Ontario . . . the detail plans and specifications for
the theatre are approaching completion in the offices of architects
Hodgson and Simmonds, 198 West Hastings street . . . the new playhouse
will have a seating capacity of 1,250 and will be ultra-modern in
every respect . . . equipped with the latest for talking pictures
and also a pipe organ. That's our old friend, the Stanley
Theatre, which will open later this year.
April 28 Hewitt Bostock died at Monte Creek.
We can thank him for the Province, although he wouldnt
recognize the paper today. Born May 31, 1864 in Surrey, England,
he graduated in law from Cambridge but, oddly, took up ranching
when he came to Kamloops in 1888. In 1894 he started a newspaper
in Victoria, the Weekly Province, later sent an associate
to Vancouver to test the climate for a competitor to the World
and the News-Advertiser. On March 26, 1898 the Vancouver
Daily Province appeared, quickly became the biggest paper
in town. Bostock became an MP, later Speaker of the Senate.
April A ship called the Losmar tore
away the south span of the Second Narrows bridge, putting it out
May 3 Premier Simon Fraser Tolmie opened Capilano
Bridge. A concrete bridge had been built across the Capilano River
in 1914. That bridge partly collapsed in 1919, was cobbled
up and lasted to this 1930 replacement. Marine Drive was now
classified as a primary highway.
Also May 3 A letter appeared in the Province
suggesting that bells be put on automobiles as a safety feature,
to sound continuously when the vehicle is going downhill.
May 24 Artist Robert Bateman was born in North
Toronto. He lives now on Salt Spring Island.
May There were bright spots during the Depression
years: in May 1930 Dominion Bridge opened a plant in Burnaby to
produce steel for construction. Clients included Vancouver's Marine
Building, the Alberta Wheat Pool and Second Narrows bridge repairs.
June 11 Airplane and boat builder William
Boeing launched his 125-foot twin-screw diesel luxury yacht Taconite
in Vancouver. (Today, still in Vancouver, beautifully refurbished
and maintained, its owned and chartered out by W. Gordon Levett.)
Boeing had opened a Canadian arm here in 1929 and bought the Hoffar-Beeching
Shipyard at 1927 West Georgia. They started building B1Es (four-seat
planes called flying boats) on the adjoining property,
and about the same time commissioned the building of the Taconite,
named for a Montana mine Boeing had an interest in. (He would die
aboard the boat in 1956).
June 18 Columnist Denny Boyd was born in Anyox,
June 25 An aviation hero who spent part of
his boyhood in Vancouverand has a city school named for himwas
in the news. Australian pilot Charles Kingsford-Smith and the crew
of the Southern Cross, a famous old patched-up plane
landed at Harbor Grace, Newfoundland "just before 6 oclock
this morning" after a 31-hour flight from Ireland across the
Atlantic. The planes compass had gone wonky, and the crew
was unable to hear radio signals so spent five hours flying in circles
over Newfoundland before they found a landing field. Interest in
the flight was high for a couple of reasons: a lot of people remembered
Charlie Kingsford-Smith as a schoolboy here and, even more important,
he had been the first man (non-solo) to fly across the Pacific.
Now hed added the Atlantic to his achievements, the first
man to cross both oceans by air.
July 12 A city market opened at
the corner of Main and Pender Streets.
July 29 Destined to house an historic
display depicting early British Columbia and Vancouver, of which
it was once a prominent landmark, the old Hastings Mill store, one
of the few buildings which escaped the fire of 1886, was safely
beached on the shores of Point Grey near Alma Road . . . Several
score pioneers who had gathered to watch the historic building towed
to its last resting place cheered as the tug Alert swung
the huge scow on which the structure was carried toward the beach.
Under direction of Capt. Charles Cates, the scow was beached at
Today, the snug little structure is still operated
in Pioneer Park, at the north foot of Alma, run as a museum by the
Native Daughters of British Columbia, Post No. 1. It makes for a
truly interesting visit to the past, including stories, pictures
and drawings of the Great Fire.
August 7 The B.C. High Schools Olympiad.
August 20 CBC Vancouver Orchestra conductor
Mario Bernardi was born in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. He would study
in Italy and graduate at 17 from the Venice Conservatory with the
highest marks possible. After beginning his professional conducting
career in England, Bernardi would return to Canada in 1968 to form
a professional chamber orchestra for the National Arts Centre.
August 21 Newspaper reports said the annual
per capita income for BC residents was $4,339.
Also August 21 Princess Margaret was born.
August 22 The new Empress of Japan
arrived in Vancouver. Considered Canadian Pacifics finest
trans-Pacific liner, she commenced regular crossings to the Orient
via Honolulu. (She would be requisitioned as a troop ship in 1939,
with her name changed to Empress of Scotland.)
August 25 15-year-old Stan Leonard won Vancouvers
caddy golf championship.
August 26 The Vancouver Womens Aeronautic
Assn. was organized. First in Canada.
August 30 Future Vancouver city councillor
Ed Sweeney was born.
September 7 The oldest surviving bowling centre
in Canada, Commodore Lanes and Billiards, in the basement at 838
Granville Street, opened under the direction of Frank Panvin. And
heres a remarkable story, told by reporter Gordon McIntyre:
From opening day until Frank Panvin's death in 1962, the only
time staffer Mitz Nozaki spent away from the alley was when the
Canadian government interned him at Shuswap Lake with other Japanese
Canadians during World War II.
September 12 Future Vancouver mayor Art Phillips
was born in Vancouver.
September 13 After the incident in April,
in which the Losmar tore away the south span of the first
Second Narrows bridge, the Pacific Gatherer finished the
job by taking out the fixed centre span. No attempt was made to
reconstruct the bridge.
September 15 Bill King, future MLA, was born.
September 23 Singer Ray Charles was born in
Albany, Georgia. (Fittingly, one of Charles greatest songs,
Hoagy Carmichaels Georgia On My Mind, became a hit
this same year.)
September 30 The first iron lung was donated
to Vancouver General Hospital. The iron lung was a device for artificial
respiration for patients with severe respiratory problems.
October 2 Future BC premier Dave Barrett was
born in Vancouver.
October 5 The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
performed for the first time at the Orpheum Theatre. (Not until
1976 would they make it their permanent home.) The conductor was
Allard de Ridder, born in 1887 in Dordrecht, Holland. He had received
his music education in Holland and Cologne Conservatory. Violist.
He put up his $3,000 life savings to guarantee the musician's wages
for this first concert. He will lead the orchestra until 1940.
October 23 Contact! The Vancouver branch of
the Aviation League of Canada, an organization promoting the growth
of the air industry, began formal proceedings today. Maj. D.R. MacLaren,
DSO, was unanimously elected president at a meeting at the Hotel
Georgia. Ten committees bristled with high-powered local names,
including William Templeton (first manager of the Vancouver Airport);
Gen. Victor Odlum; Gen. A.D. MacRae (his Hycroft is a famous Shaughnessy
mansion); Stanley Burke, a Boeing official (not the CBC-TV newscaster);
financier Austin Taylor; newspaperman R.J. Cromie, Duncan Bell-Irving
October The Marine Building opened. It is
the most famous and in the opinion of many still the most beautiful
building in Vancouver, an art deco masterpiece. This entry is based
on Murray Foster's article in The Greater Vancouver Book.
A Toronto bond-trading house, G.A. Stimson, believed
Vancouver would become a major west coast port, and decided to erect
an office building to accommodate the city's marine-related businesses.
It would be near the waterfront, and close to the customs house,
the Canadian Pacific and the Canadian National steamship terminals.
A site was found at the foot of Burrard Street, and a local architectural
firm, McCarter and Nairne, was commissioned to realize the vision.
McCarter, the engineer, Murray Foster wrote, jumped
at the chance to design his first skyscraper. Nairne, the architect,
inspired by New York City's Chrysler Building, was excited at the
chance to create his own dazzling Art Deco showpiece. Nairne wanted
the design to express the various businesses housed within its walls,
firms engaged in shipping, lumber, mining, insurance and the import
and export trade. (McCarter and Nairne moved into the building
themselves, stayed until February, 1980. They had been Marine Building
tenants for just under 50 years.)
Its architects conceived of it as a great crag of
a building, rising from the sea, clinging with sea flora and
fauna, in sea-green flashed with gold. Alas, by 2004 this
Art Deco masterpiece was almost totally hidden by a forest of modern
Construction of the 25-storey building by E. J. Ryan
Contracting began in mid-March, 1929. It was, for more than a decade,
the tallest building in the British Commonwealth. Unfortunately,
the Wall Street crash occurred during its construction and the Great
Depression that followed had a serious effect on the building's
fate. Still, writes Foster, early tenants included the Vancouver
Merchants' Exchangewhich had contracted for a minimum of 10
years tenancy, the Vancouver Board of Trade, the Bank of Montreal
and others. The architects themselves moved in, and were tenants
for many years.
In 1933 Stimson and Co. would fail, and the Marine
Building would be sold to the Guinness family for $900,000, little
more than a third of its cost.
The managing director of British Pacific Properties,
which owned all that land on the north shore, was A. J. T. Taylor.
(Taylor Way in West Vancouver is named for him.) He moved into the
Marine Building's lavish penthouse with his wife in 1930 and even
had a tiny elevator built to connect it with the 18th floor below.
But Mrs. Taylor eventually decided she didn't like heights, so they
moved out. The space is occupied by offices today.
November 2 Burnaby was given multi-page prominence
in the Provinces Sunday edition. Her roads and railways
and easy access to water were lauded, her industries puffed, her
people praised. Within its borders were the world's largest sawmill
(the Barnet Lumber Mill) and the world's largest shingle mill (Bloedel,
Stewart & Welch). Burnaby, the paper told readers, was named
for Col. Fred Burnaby of the Royal Engineers . . . a name
made famous in geographical circles by the published story of Burnaby's
Ride to Kiva, "the colonel being one of the first white men
to explore Thibet (sic). Burnaby historian Pixie McGeachie
laughs at that. All wrong. Fred Burnaby existed, and did go
to Tibet, but he was just a relative of Robert Burnaby. I don't
think they ever met.
November 3 Vancouverites scoffed at the claim
of a Veronia, Ore., sawmill that it was sawing up the world's tallest
tree (species unnamed) at 230 feet. That is only a toothpick,
the Province huffed, compared with the giant Douglas
fir that was cut near Vancouver in 1895, measured at 415 feet. The
size of this tree established a record for all time. Alas,
not so. Guinness gives that title to an Australian eucalyptus at
Watts River, Victoria, Australia, reported in 1872. It was
132.6 metres (435 ft.) tall and must have been over 150 m (500 ft.)
November 11 The Grandview Park Memorial Flagstaff
and Tablet were unveiled.
November 20 The Canadian National Institute
for the Blind opened its Vancouver headquarters on Broadway.
November 21 Vancouver got its first shipment
of Lillybet dolls, modelled after five-year-old Princess
Elizabethwho is Queen Elizabeth II today.
November 22 Spencer's Department Store held
a giant Toy Parade with Santa Claus and a retinue of Story Book
November 22 A letter appeared in the Daily
Province suggesting it would be a good idea to have traffic
lights at Main and Kingsway.
November 24 Gustav Roedde, printer and book
binder, died in Vancouver, aged 70. He was born January 7, 1860
in Groß-Bodungen, west of Nordhausen, Germany. He studied
bookbinding before emigrating to Cleveland in 1881. Roedde came
to Vancouver via San Francisco and Victoria and opened the city's
first book bindery in 1886. He had Roedde House built in 1893. It
was the second house, after Barclay Manor next door, to be built
in the block. Custodians of the house believe its architect was
Francis Mawson Rattenbury, designer of the Vancouver Art Gallery
(former Court House) and Victoria's Parliament Buildings and Empress
Hotel. His wife Matilda is said to have complained, I wish
that Rattenbury had given us a basement. The house was sold
to H.W. Jeffreys in 1927, and later became a boarding house. The
City of Vancouver bought it in 1966. Called Roedde House, and charmingly
restored, it is now used for community activities.
November 25 The Merrysea sinks in English
December 6 The first airmail to the Orient
December 8 Work began on the Burrard Bridge.
It will open July 1, 1932.
December 15 Mrs. Victor Bruce was visiting
British Columbia during the last leg of her around-the-world flight,
and took off from Vancouver's temporary airport on Lulu Island today
at 12:00 noon. The "daring British aviatrix" arrived in
Victoria shortly after 1 p.m., and went for lunch with Lt.-Gov.
R. Randolph Bruce. (We don't think they were related, although one
of the guests at the luncheon was the Rev. Montague Bruce, a cousin
of the flyer.) Later that afternoon she would fly to Seattle, and
then on to San Francisco. She had an exciting experience,
ran one newspaper report, when she made a forced landing in
Iraq. The Baluchi tribesmen were friendly, and after dancing with
them she was escorted over the desert to Jask.
Also in 1930
St. George's private school for boys opened.
Construction began in Richmond on what is today Vancouver
International Airport. The first manager of the airport, William
Templeton, had been one of the committee who had chosen Sea Island
as the location. On the start of construction in 1930 he published
a brochure that read, in part: The day is not far distant
when giant airliners and dirigibles will leave this harbor for far-away
China, Japan, and even Australia, while large multi-motored planes
will carry the passengers and mails which arrive here from these
distant countries . . . faster than the winds themselves and higher
than the birds which fly. (The harbor reference
reflected the fact that much of the early airports traffic
was "flying boats.")
Future director Allan King was born in Vancouver.
He will make a sensation in 1969 with his documentary A Married
Couple, following the real-life couple Bill and Antoinette Edwards.
The Province newspaper started a second station,
The Stanley Theatre opened at 2750 Granville Street.
The Vernon Block at 225-255 East Broadway was built.
Its a heritage structure. Also built this year, and a heritage
structure, the Memorial Park South Fieldhouse at 5950 Prince Albert.
Sun journalist and executive Erwin Swangard,
born in Munich in 1908, came to Vancouver.
London, Ontario-born Mae Garnett, about 55, one of
the first female general news reporters in Western Canada (she wrote
for the Albertan, Edmonton Bulletin and Vancouver
News-Herald) joined the Vancouver Sun.
Henry Forbes Angus, 39, who had joined UBC in 1919
as an assistant professor of economics, is named the universitys
head of economics, political science and sociology.
Enrolment at UBC topped 3,000.
The Cora Marie was launched by Vancouver Shipyards.
She was considered the finest wooden hulled vessel built in Coal
Harbour. Her first owner was bakery executive William C. Shelly
of 4X bread fame, but the Depression led to her sale to Paul F.
Johnson, a wealthy American. Her future career is really interesting,
and will be detailed as we build this chronology.
Fife, Scotland-born William Marr Crawford, master
mariner, and president and managing director since 1923 of Empire
Stevedoring, launched the Fyfer, described as the finest
private yacht on the Pacific. (In 1941, he will donate it
to the Royal Canadian Navy for war use.
John Grove ended his long service here, retiring
after 35 years as the lighthouse keeper at Prospect Point, later
at Brockton Point.
The Forum was constructed at a cost of $300,000.
It was the largest artificial ice surface in North America at the
time, and would hold that title until 1936 and the building, by
the Patrick brothers, of the Denman Arena. Source: City
of Vancouver website.
The Fraser Highway became part of the Trans-Canada
Richmond became a member of the Greater Vancouver
Water Board. The municipality had been plagued over the years with
broken, corroded or frozen pipes as it tried to transport fresh
water across bridges or over the bed of the Fraser to Sea and Lulu
All Japanese students in Steveston were allowed to
attend general schools, as well as being able to attend Japanese
language schools after-hours.
A world record for egg-laying was set by No
Drone, No. 5H, a hen from the Whiting farm in Surrey. She
has laid 357 eggs in 365 days. No Drone was preserved
for posterity and her stuffed form put on display at the World Poultry
Congress in Rome, Italy in 1934. In 1954 she will be presented by
the Whiting family to the Langley Museum.
As a form of unemployment relief, Surrey Council
gave one day's work a week to single men, and two days work to married
men, as long as weather conditions permitted and until the allotted
sum of $10,000 had been used up.
McKenzie Derrick, later McKenzie Barge and Marineways,
opened for business on the Dollarton Highway in North Vancouver.
Burnaby' first annual Better Baby Contest was held
to promote child welfare. Judges were the Medical Health Officer
and the School Board doctor.
Burnaby's Town Planning Commission was established.
200 skeletons were found in the ancient Marpole Midden.
Deadman's Island, so named because it was once the
site of native burial grounds (and was later used by white settlers
for the same purpose), was the subject of much dispute until 1930,
when the federal government granted the city a 99-year lease on
The CN Dock fire destroyed the new 1,000-ft. long
San Francisco-born Bernice R. Brown (née Dickhoff),
25, settled in Vancouver. She will become the editor of the brand-new
weekly publication Jewish Western Bulletin.
St. Andrew's-Wesley United Church opened at Burrard
and Nelson. Its name shows it was a merger of two churches, one
Presbyterian, the other Methodist. That had come about because of
the formation of the United Church of Canada five years before.
The Canadian Federation of Business and Professional
Women's Clubs was established. One of the key organizers was Vancouvers
A. Dauphinee, one of the founders (1922) of the Vancouver
Business and Professional Women's Club.
Port Fairy, Australia-born Violet
Alice Dryvynsyde, an educator and author, came to Vancouver
with her family.
The first school of psychiatric nursing opened in
Yellow Cab, the oldest company still in operation,
began doing business here in 1920 with a single car owned by Roy
Long, a lawyer. In 1930, the firm was taken over by the B.C. Electric
Co., which was operating Terminal City Cabs.
Arts advocate Anne Macdonald was born in Vancouver.
PEI-born Angus MacInnis, who arrived in Vancouver
in 1908, was elected the CCF Member of Parliament for Vancouver
East. He would serve to 1956. Husband of Grace MacInnis.
Scotland-born Thomas Reid, who came to Canada in
1909 and farmed in Newton, was elected the Liberal Member of Parliament
for New Westminster. He would serve to 1949.
Wigan, England-born (1907) Margaret Elinor Rushton,
Holiday Theatre founder, came to Canada.
Ontario-born architect C.B.K. Van Norman, who had
arrived in Vancouver in 1928, aged about 21, began his long and
distinguished career here. See the Hall of Fame.
Acme Protective Services was incorporated.
Arthur Laing, born in Eburne on September 9th, 1904
is elected to the Richmond School Board. He will serve to 1943,
including eight years as chairman. His real fame is still ahead.
Solomon Mussallem was elected reeve of Maple Ridge.
He will serve to 1934 (then again from 1936 to 1943 and for a third
time from 1946 to 1953.)
Ivan Ackery was named manager of the Dominion Theatre
on Granville Street. (It was one of the plush movie houses of the
day when J.R. Muir opened it in 1907 to accommodate 1,000 patrons.)
John Emerson, actor and musician, aged 19, began a long
and successful career as a popular pianist and musical arranger.
J.C. McPherson was president of the Vancouver Real
R.D. Williams was chair of the Vancouver Board of
Jay-walking was banned in Vancouver.
The new Ford automobiles were on display at the Hotel
Vancouver. They sold for $540.
Vancouver mountaineers Don and Phyllis Munday began
to use skis to explore the immense snowfields of Mount Waddington,
the highest peak wholly within British Columbia. This marked the
beginning of widespread ski exploration in the Coast Range.
Will Routley moved his Wild Duck Inn upstream slightly
to its present location near the Lougheed this year, and added the
Tudor Revival touches now so familiar. (In 1931 he will
add a 100-seat pub, and see business soar. The Wild Duck Inn has
been a Port Coquitlam landmark for more than 70 years.)
Rudolph M. Grauer became reeve of Richmond. He will
hold that post to 1949.
The University Golf Club opened for play.
The Canadian Pacific Land Department proposed to
subdivide vacant land adjoining the Quilchena Golf Course. W.B.
Young, assistant city engineer, had been reading a book on astronomy
by a famous British scientist, Sir Arthur Eddington, and applied
the name to the thoroughfare. Later, when the CPR abandoned the
project, the street name remained. And thats how Eddington
Street got its name.
The University of British Columbia cleared 120 hectares
between Chancellor Boulevard and Spanish Banks for development.
But the Depression was in full flower, and the plans died. The university
couldn't afford to build the infrastructure necessary.
By 1930 only 30 of West Vancouver's 60 miles of road
were paved. And writer Kerry McPhedran writes that many West Van
streets still lack sidewalks, and old-time residents prefer
it that way.
One of our favorite entries: Labor activist Bill
(William Arthur) Pritchard, who had been arrested and found guilty
of seditious conspiracy in 1920, following an inflammatory speech
in June 1919 during the Winnipeg General Strike, and who spent a
year in jail, was elected reeve of Burnaby. He would serve to 1932.
There was at least one floating gas station in Coal
Harbour. Wed love to hear from anyone who can pinpoint a date
for these unique Vancouver landmarks . . . watermarks? Contact us
Seton Academy, a Catholic girls school, began
at 3755 McGill Street in Burnaby in a home built in 1906 for a prosperous
dry goods merchant, Charles Peters.
Alta Lake School opened in Whistler.
Vancouver-based Harbour Navigation purchased the
MV Scenic, which delivered mail to those living up Indian Arm. The
MV Scenic was the only floating post office in the British Empire.
It would continue delivering the mail between 1932 and 1968.
North Burnaby developed rapidly in the pre-World
War I real estate boom, particularly when it acquired streetcar
service to Vancouver in 1913. The Vancouver Heights subdivision
was marketed to the wealthy. Some responded, including dry-goods
merchant Charles J. Peters, who retained Maclure and Fox, the firm
of talented society architect Samuel Maclure, to design him a grand
Tudor Revival manor. The house spent a generation, from 1930, as
Seton Academy, a Roman Catholic girls' school.
Construction began on the Crease Unit at Essondale,
the mental hospital.
Construction began on the Fort Langley Community
Hall at 9167 Glover Road, once the site of the municipal hall. It
will be completed in 1931.
With the help of money raised by the Womens' Auxiliary,
founded in 1929, Vancouvers Greek community built St. George's
Greek Orthodox Church at Seventh and Vine Street in Kitsilano. A
Sunday School and a Greek language class were established at the
The Vancouver chapter of AHEPA (Anglo-Hellenic Educational
Progressive Association) was founded. AHEPA, the largest Greek Heritage
organization in the world, supports a variety of charitable causes.
The Montreal-based advertising agency Cockfield,
Brown & Co. opened a Vancouver office.
Granville Island was flourishing. By 1930,
Catherine Gourley wrote in The Greater Vancouver Book, about
1200 people worked in the island's factories, churning out steel
rivets, band saws, anvils, bolts, cement, paint, barrels, rope,
boilers and chains. They worked six days a week, trying to satisfy
their two big customersthe forestry and mining industries.
The UBC Thunderbirds made history in Athletic Park,
at Fifth and Hemlock, the first sports ground in Canada to be equipped
with floodlights. An exhibition game against Hamilton Tigers was
the first football game in the country to be played under lights.
The womens basketball team from UBC, representing
Canada, won the world championship at the women's World Games in
Prague, beating France 18-14 in the final. A crystal vase signifying
the world title is on display at UBC.
Don Bradman, the legendary Australian cricketer,
described the cricket pitch adjacent to Brockton Oval in Stanley
Park as the most scenic in the world.
Percy Williams of Vancouver, who had won two gold
medals at the 1928 Olympics, set a world record of 10.3 second for
the 100 metres. That record would last until 1941. In 1930
he also, wrote sports scribe Jim Kearney, won the 100
yards in the first ever British Empire Games at Hamilton, Ont.,
a race that effectively ended his career, Just before reaching the
tape he tore a large thigh muscle. It was not properly repaired
and while he did compete in the 1932 Olympics, he didn't make it
out of the heats.
Jim Kearney noted another 1930 sports accomplishment:
A Vancouver laboratory technician who bowled one night a week,
Jean Gordon bowled a 198 average through 47 games to finish 45 pins
ahead of her nearest competitor while winning the Women's World
Cup of tenpin bowling at Jakarta, Indonesia.
The New Westminster Exhibition closed for good this
year, and that caused a rise in attendance at the PNE.
The Britannia copper mine began a five-year reign
as the largest copper producer in the British Empire.
The Vancouver Bach Choir was formed by Herbert Mason
with 130 members. It immediately became the largest choir in the
city; it is now also the oldest.
Writer and arts coordinator Betty Keller was born
Betty Pratt-Johnson, who writes authoritatively on
scuba and skin diving, with books for kayakers, canoeists and rafters,
was born in the midwestern U.S.
Poet and novelist Peter Trower was born in St. Leonard's,
England. He came to Canada in 1940.
On the south side of Marine Drive in the University
Endowment Lands is a plaque titled MUSQUEAM. It reads: Near
this place, in July, 1808, Simon Fraser of the North West Company
ended his dangerous exploration of the Fraser River from Fort George.
The hostility of the Indians prevented him from proceeding farther.
His object was to find a trade route to the Pacific from the Interior
forts and thus avoid the long journey across the continent. Erected
1930. The Musqueam were the people living here when Fraser
visited. (Musqueam, according to 1001 British Columbia Place
Names, means the nations at the sea shore.) The
Musqueam people live to this day in this region.
A 10.5-hectare garden, an initiative of Washington
State, is installed on the American side of the Peace Arch.
Cecil Green was born in 1900 in England, but grew
up and went to school in Vancouver and, in 1930, began working for
a companyGeophysical Service of Dallasthat later became
Texas Instruments. He would become a US naturalized citizen in Dallas
in 1936 and rise to become president and chairman of Texas Instruments.
Winnipeg-born Ellen Harris, radio broadcaster, came
to Vancouver. She was about 26. She will become the host of the
women's show Morning Visit on CBC Radio Vancouver from 1944 to 1952.
Here are the radio stations listed in the city directory
for 1930. With the exception of the address for CKMO (which had
moved from 336 West Hastings), its identical to 1929's list:
CHLS Province Commercial, 198 West Hastings
CJOR Commercial Broadcasting Service, 804 Hornby
CKCD Province News, 616-198 West Hastings
CKFC Radio Station, West 12th Avenue at Hemlock
CKMO Sprott Shaw 1705-500 Beatty
CKWX Radio Station, 801 West Georgia
CNRV Canadian National Railways, 1150 Main Street
- 1884] [1885 - 1891] [1892
[1900 - 1905] [1906
- 1908]